Sunday 23 September 2018

CorkHi23°| Lo13°

Cork Independent

News

Peaceful protest planned for Royal visit

Wednesday, 13th June, 2018 4:12pm

Campaigners against the proposed incinerator in Ringaskiddy are staging a protest during the visit of Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, today.

Opponents to the project will stage a peaceful protest in Ringaskiddy as the Prince of Wales travels to the Naval Service Base in Haulbowline today, 14 June.

Speaking about the protest, which was discussed at a public meeting in Cobh on Monday, Cork Harbour Alliance for a Safe Environment (CHASE) spokesperson Mary Hurley said: “This protest has been organised by one of the members of the Residents Association in Ringaskiddy.The idea is to form a guard with those able to attend in order to raise awareness of the campaign.

“We are informed Prince Charles is a keen environmentalist himself, so I suppose it is to highlight the issue while also being very respectful of the visit. It’s not about creating any consternation or anything like that, but for the community to say ‘this is what is happening in our beautiful harbour’, and to have their plight noticed.”

Earlier this week, the Cobh meeting heard that the GoFundMe page, dedicated to raising funds for a judicial review of the decision to grant permission for the incinerator, had reached over €50,000.

It is expected that at least €150,000 must be raised in order to apply for the review.

Cobh Tidy Towns’ Ken Curtin said he was heartened by public support at the CHASE meetings, and was hopeful that the required funding would be met and a judicial review heard.

“This week was one of the largest public meetings in Cobh in a long time. The unity of the communities over the future of our harbour is great to see. We have a very narrow window, about four more weeks, to reach our funding target, but this week brought about some new ideas for fundraising initiatives like raffles and auctions.

“We feel we have a strong case for judicial review this time, and we are hopeful that if we get it to that stage we will have a positive outcome.”

A statement from John Aherne, Managing Director of Indaver, said: “Indaver fully respects the objectors' democratic right to pursue a judicial review and to mount a peaceful protest following An Bord Pleanála's decision to grant planning permission for our Ringaskiddy waste-to-energy facility.”

People can donate at gofundme.com/no-incinerator-in-cork-harbour.

ePaper Service

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Desktop, Tablet & Smartphone friendly
Cookies on Cork Independent website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Cork Independent website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Cork Independent use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don't sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message