Tuesday 25 September 2018

CorkHi19°| Lo

Cork Independent

News

Waterloo residents set to reject left-turn proposal

Wednesday, 5th September, 2018 4:44pm

A proposal to reopen the Waterloo Junction as left-turn only will be rejected out of hand, residents in the area have said.

A public meeting of residents of Waterloo and Whitechurch was held on Tuesday night following a Cork County Council proposal to reopen the controversial junction as left-in/left-out only.

Anthony Horgan, co-chair of Waterloo Access Group, said correspondence from Cork County Council executives in conjunction with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) had this week acknowledged “widespread local opposition” to closing the road and were considering reopening it without its right turn, which has been the scene of a number of serious accidents in recent months.

However, he said residents remained opposed to anything other than a full reopening. “The proposal for a left-only reopening of the junction, which has been tentatively put forward by the Council, was discussed at Tuesday’s meeting, where over 200 people turned out,” he said.

“It was unanimously decided among residents and councillors that it would not be accepted.”

Mr Horgan said reopening the junction in this way would cause more danger to road users than the current design of the junction, which was closed earlier this year.

“If it were to be left-turn only, what you’d have is a case where people are turning left before doing U-turns to go on right, which would be even more dangerous,” he said.

“Our community remains united against closure, or anything that would continue to divide our community living on both sides of the Mallow Road,” he continued.

“Our local councillors and local representatives have assured us of their ongoing support, for which we are very grateful. All we are asking is that the council produce workable solutions to fully re-open the junction in a safe manner for all users.”

A petition calling for the reopening of the junction, now signed by close to 1,000 people, will be presented to County Mayor Patrick Gerard Murphy this Friday.

The public has until 5pm on 2 October to make submissions to the Administrative Officer, Cork County Council, Cork National Roads Design Office, Glanmire. Cork County Council had not responded to request for comment as of going to print.

ePaper Service

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Desktop, Tablet & Smartphone friendly
Cookies on Cork Independent website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Cork Independent website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Cork Independent use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don't sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message