Monday 23 April 2018

CorkHi13°| Lo

Cork Independent


Pro12 focus for Munster

Thursday, 11th May, 2017 1:00am

Tyler Bleyendaal has emerged as a serious doubt ahead of Munster’s Pro12 Semi-Final appearance on Saturday week.

Director of Rugby at Munster, Rassie Erasmus, confirmed that Bleyendaal is carrying an injury to his bicep sustained during Munster’s 50-14 thrashing of Connacht last Saturday.

The game saw man of the match Ian Keatley win his 150th cap for Munster, becoming the third member of the current squad to do so alongside Donnacha Ryan and Billy Holland; while scrumhalf Conor Murray made a successful return to action from the shoulder injury he sustained in Ireland’s 6 Nations loss to Wales back in March, coming on as a second half replacement.

Bleyendaal was absent from the Guinness Pro12 awards in Dublin this week where he was named as outhalf on the Dream Team for this season, while Erasmus was named as Pro12 Coach of the Season. Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Billy Holland, John Ryan and Dave Kilcoyne were also included in the Pro12 Dream Team. Munster’s victory over Connacht, coupled with Leinster’s defeat at Ulster, meant that Munster enter the playoffs as top seeds and will play the fourth-placed side, Ospreys, at Thomond Park on 20 May. Meanwhile, Cork Constitution were crowned champions of the Ulster Bank League with victory over Clontarf in the Division 1A Final.

Man of the match Tomas Quinlan was a hero for the Temple Hill side, scoring 20 points for his team, in a game that finished 25-21.

Just eight days on from winning the Bateman Cup, Con secured the All-Ireland double; thanks to six penalties from Quinlan and a try from Rob Jermyn, which was converted by Quinlan – giving the outhalf a 100 per cent kicking record on the day.

Although Con trailed 10-12 at half-time, with former Leinster winger Mick McGrath dominating for the Dublin side, Clontarf’s indiscipline caught them with two players yellow carded in either half; Royce Burke-Flynn in the first and Sam Cronin in the second.

Con’s solitary try came at 50 minutes when they had been leading 15-14, thanks to a Quinlan penalty after the resumption.

Although Clontarf crossed the line with 15 minutes to go and then nailed the conversion to make it a four point game (21-25), Cork Con held on for the victory, their first in the League since 2010.

ePaper Service

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Desktop, Tablet & Smartphone friendly
Cookies on Cork Independent website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Cork Independent website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Cork Independent use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don't sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message