Tuesday 04 August 2020

CorkHi17°| Lo

Cork Independent

Home & Property

Insure your home and protect your biggest asset!

Wednesday, 25th September, 2019 4:45pm

Paul Kavanagh, MD, McCarthy Insurance Group

Your home and its contents are your biggest asset, so you need to protect them should an unthinkable disaster happen.

Water damage is the most common claim and can vary from a simple radiator leak to the tank in the attic bursting and destroying ceilings, carpets and wooden floors.

Fire and smoke damage can be the most devastating as any damage usually renders the property uninhabitable which can lead to further costs and fire brigade charges of at least €2,000.

Most home burglaries occur whilst the occupants are on holidays, at a wedding or even at a funeral. Where a burglar alarm is installed, make sure it’s maintained and switched on.

An oil leak is usually covered up to €1,000, but you need unlimited cover for any damage to your own property and your neighbour’s property and water sources, and of course, the environmental clean-up if such a leak occurs.

Another area that needs careful consideration are flat roofs, extensions, conservatories, sheds and garages. Never assume any of these are covered.

Also check that your home policy covers all your own particular needs and requirements including cover for childminding, domestic employees, home office, etc.

An all-risks extension is required to cover your valuables when you are away from the home. Antiques and works of art always require special extensions to cover them correctly.

The Dangerous Dogs Act is the law and must be complied with accordingly. You need to make sure your dog is covered if it bites somebody.

Now, if you are leaving any workmen onto your property, then it is incumbent on you to check they have adequate insurance cover in force, and if major renovations are being carried out, to advise your insurer as you could be in breach of policy conditions.

So, if you are putting on an extension, then the builder and tradesmen all need their own cover and/or a special self-build insurance policy.

You then need to have your policy noted, as most insurers will reduce cover automatically when renovations are being carried out.

ePaper Service

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Desktop, Tablet & Smartphone friendly
Cookies on Cork Independent website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Cork Independent website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Cork Independent use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don't sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message