Friday 22 November 2019

CorkHi| Lo

Cork Independent

Lifestyle & Leisure

Keep your pup safe on Halloween

Wednesday, 30th October, 2019 4:43pm

A dog welfare charity has released a list of tips for keeping your dog safe and happy on Halloween.

Research by Dogs Trust found that 52 per cent of dogs are frightened by fireworks. As such, the Halloween period can be a frightening and confusing time for dogs. The sudden, bright, and unpredictable nature of fireworks can have a profoundly negative impact on our furry friends. The research reported that the majority of owners describe their dog as being ‘very frightened’ by fireworks and bangers.

Head of Operations at Dogs Trust, Karla Dunne said: “Halloween can unfortunately be a terrifying and confusing experience for some dogs. Dogs’ hearing is approximately four times more sensitive than us humans and they can hear much higher frequency sounds than people. We are asking people to please think twice about taking their dogs ‘trick or treating’ as the extra excitement around the event and meeting strangers may cause them distress.”

The charity has put together a list of tips to help make sure your dog doesn’t get too upset, or panic. Dogs Trust suggest walking your dog before it gets dark to avoid fireworks and flashing lights and to make sure they are well exercised and have had a toilet break before the fireworks begin. Feed your dog before the fireworks begin as they may become unsettled and not want to eat.

Providing a safe hiding place in his or her favourite room at noisy times around Halloween can be a great comfort. Close the curtains, turn the lights on, and turn up the volume on your TV or radio to drown out the noise. Don’t leave your dog alone outdoors during Halloween, scared dogs can make desperate attempts to escape and may injure themselves.

Never force your dog to wear a dog costume or do not force your dog to receive any unwanted attention, even from family members, as they may not recognise people in costumes. Make sure that your dog is wearing a collar and an ID tag and that his microchip details are up to date via fido.ie.

“We are also reminding people to keep treats and sweets away from your furry friends. Chocolate, raisins, grapes and the sweetener xylitol are toxic to dogs. If you suspect your dog has eaten anything they shouldn’t, please call your local veterinary practice immediately and always store their out of hours’ emergency number on your phone,” continued Ms Dunne.

For more tips and tricks visit dogstrust.ie/fireworks.

ePaper Service

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Desktop, Tablet & Smartphone friendly
Cookies on Cork Independent website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Cork Independent website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Cork Independent use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don't sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message