Artist impression of Dunkettle Station released last month.

Public asked to share their views on future of Cork rail

Cork residents are being asked to give their views on their preferred options for Phase 2 of the Cork Area Commuter Rail project.

This phase will deliver the remaining infrastructure needed to support trains operating up to every 10 minutes across each of the three commuter lines to Mallow, Midleton, and Cobh.

Iarnród Éireann launched the consultation process on Friday 15 May, and it will remain open for submissions until Friday 12 June.

The consultation is asking for feedback on seven measures associated with the plan.

These are:

Six additional stations for Cork including Blarney, Monard, Tivoli, Ballynoe, Carrigtwohill West and Water-Rock

Electrification of the Cork rail network to support a new electric train fleet, reduce congestion and cut transport carbon emissions

A new train depot at Ballyrichard More, positioned to support planned service expansion, and to cater for the electrified fleet of engines

Two park and ride sites, at Blarney and Dunkettle respectively

Upgrades to the stations at Cobh and Mallow to make sure they are accessible and to provide for expected future capacity upgrades

Better connections to service more integrated transport options, including park and ride facilities, bus services, cycleways and Cork’s future light rail (LUAS)

Improved accessibility at new and existing upgraded stations to ensure more customers can gain unrestricted access to rail services.

Earlier this month, Iarnród Éireann submitted planning permission for two stations at Blackpool and Dunkettle. Construction on both stations is set to begin in 2027 and be completed by 2029.

Chief Executive of the National Transport Authority Anne Shaw said Phase 2 is “all about making a real difference for passengers and communities across the city and suburbs”.

“By improving access to frequent, reliable and sustainable rai services, alongside our broader transport connectivity ambitions for Cork including Bus Connects and Luas, it will make everyday journeys easier while supporting the continued growth of Cork.”

A series of consultation events will be held for those who like to learn more. Details of these events can be found on Iarnród Éireann’s website.

Iarnród Éireann Chief Executive Mary Considine said feedback from communities surrounding developments “is important and will be central to finalising design proposals. I encourage everyone to engage with the consultation process and have your say in shaping this transformative rail investment programme.”

Once the consultation process is complete, Iarnród Éireann is expected to submit a Railway Order Application to An Coimisún Pleanála (ACP) in late 2026. It said this will be followed by a statutory consultation period where the public will be invited to make submissions directly to ACP.